For most of us when we eat oranges, normally we trash the back, the peels. What a lot of people do not know is that despite its bitter taste, these peels are loaded with many health benefits.
Orange peel contains flavonoids, vitamins and minerals, fibre and phytonutrients all of which is very beneficial to the human body.
Here are top health benefits of orange peel:
- Orange peel is very high in fibre and is low in calories. It suppresses weight gain by the body. Orange peel is very rich in compounds that help prevent digestive complications like constipation, vomiting, heartburn.
- Orange peel has also been found to be useful in the treatment of asthma. It contains high level of antioxidants that helps in relieving respiratory distress and conditions like bronchitis, cold, flu.
- You can use orange peels when dealing with bad breath, acting as mouth fresher to get rid of the bad odor. It is also a very good form of teeth whitener.
- Orange peels contain vitamin C which acts as a natural skin bleach, protects the skin from skin burns and gets rid of sun tan. You can either rub the peel on your skin directly or use diluted orange peel paste.
- Orange peels can also be used to fight cancer: Orange peel contains chemical compounds that aids in inhibiting the growth and spread of cancerous cells.
There are also other non-health benefits of orange peel such as air freshener, compost, and for getting rid of bugs