Are you a junk-food junkie? Here’s what you need to know
Really, Junk food refers to foods that add lots of calories but little nutritional benefits. They might mean different thing to different people entirely. For instance, some might say pizza is junk food, but really, pizza as good nutritional value just like cheese and tomatoes sauce.
In this dispensation, Junk food has gone global, we see it everywhere we go in fast food restaurants, grocery, and television, available in all forms such as: chips, salad, strawberry, coca cola French fries, chicken nuggets, soda etc, looking very appealing. It is still one of those temptations that seems to be hard to say not to.
And majority of junk food falls into the categories of either snack food or fast food.
Let’s look at the important details about junk food.
- Junk food don’t lack nutrients only, but they have some ingredients that can damage your health for real, and the presence of manmade trans fats in these junk foods elevates bad cholesterol, simultaneously lowering good cholesterol, and consuming them increases the chances of developing heart disease and stroke.
- Note that different soda can have about 10 teaspoons of sugar in it and if you drink a can of it every day for a month, it’s almost equal to a whole bag of sugar, this sugar is not only bad for your teeth, but your body turns it into fat shortly, after consumption.
- Junk food is usually high in the bad types of fat — trans and saturated.
- One major issue with junk foods is that they’re low in satiation value, meaning that people don’t tend to get full or satisfied when they consume them.
- Junk food usually provides a large number of calories per serving, especially with high calories from fats.
- Junk food often has a large amount of added sugar like maltose, fruit juice concentrate etc
Eating junk food should not be a regular occurrence if you really want to stick to a healthy lifestyle and when you are taking a meal outside, always consider how the food is cooked, is very important to healthy eating.
Keep healthy food healthy by limiting what you add to it to avoid eating junks.