I was in a bus home one day as I watched a woman shove biscuits and chocolate into her child’s mouth as the child was crying and would not rest. It worked and the snack kept the child busy and she stopped crying. But then I wondered about the long term effect, then I concluded, there just has to be a healthier way of snacking for kids instead of shoveling junk down their throats every time.
Well, I did a little research and here’s what I found:
- Whole grain cereals. A bowl of whole grain cereals is packed with vitamins, minerals like calcium and fibre. Perfect for a healthy and yet fun snack as a lot of whole grain cereals now coming with different flavors and colors.
- Smoothies. Kids get excited over tasty drinks especiall. One of such tasty drinks is smoothies and very healthy too as it is made from fruits. The versatility of smoothies, mixing of different fruits – leading to a whole mixture of flavors is definitely exciting not only to kids but adults too!
- Healthy pastries. Whether it is fruit cakes and bread or sandwiches and muffins, You can afford to sneak in fruits and vegetable into your child’s diet with lots of tastiness surrounding it.
- Chips. Chips made from plantain, sweet potatoes are another class of healthy snacks for kids that can replace biscuits as they are equally very crunchy and attractive.
- Noodles. The average Nigerian child is a big fan of indomie. Pasta, a class to which noodles belong is very rich in carbohydrate and is easy to prepare. It can be served with vegetables to add more “health” to the food.
I hope this gives you an idea of how you can replace junk foods and snacks with healthy snacks.
I’d like to know your thoughts on this and some other healthy snacks for kids you know about. Leave your thoughts in the comment boxes below!