Thalassemia is a very big word, but it is a word you need to get acquainted with. According to Wikipedia, Thalassemias are inherited recessive blood disorders characterized by abnormal haemoglobin production.
It is a blood disorder that affects the production of haemoglobin in the body thereby destroying the red blood cells. The World Thalassemia Day is celebrated on the 8th of May of every year all over the world.
Key Points About Thalassemia
- It is an autosomal recessive blood disorder
- It gets inherited from parents to children through genes
- It is most common among people of Italian, Greek, Middle Eastern, South Asian and African descent
- It can affect people of any age group
- It can cause mild or severe anaemia
- As of 2013, thalassemia has occurred in about 280 million people, with about 439,000 having severe disease.
- It can either be alpha, beta, or delta thalassemia or a combination of hemoglobinopathies
Causes and Symptoms
Thalassemia is inherited through parents; it is advised that young people get tested before they get married, prenatal tests should also be carried out before childbirth.
Many times, mild thalassemia does not show any symptoms thus it can be only diagnosed through complete blood count test (CBC).
Some of the symptoms/effects of thalassemia are:
- Bone abnormalities
- Higher risk of Infection
- Enlarged spleen
- Slower growth rate in youths
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Iron overload
Treatment and Management
- Medication: Medications, as prescribed by your doctor are a way to treat thalassemia, especially in the case of iron overload.
- Blood Transfusion: In severe cases of thalassemia, a blood transfusion regimen is an important measure in prolonging the life of affected people.
- Bone Marrow Transplant: In extreme cases, there might be a need a need to carry out bone marrow transplant.
- Counselling: Regular counselling sessions with a genetic counsellor or medical personnel is required to effectively manage thalassemia.
One of the best ways of preventing the spread of this disease is AWARENESS. KINDLY SHARE THIS POST WITH A FRIEND OR TWO, SO AS TO SPREAD AWARENESS.