Atopic dermatitis prevention involves reducing exposure to factors in their environment and chemical substances that cause flare-ups or worsen the condition. Atopic dermatitis prevention also involves avoiding the factors that increase the likelihood of developing this disease, as much as possible.
There are many tips that are important in atopic dermatitis prevention. They include:
- Use a thick moisturiser as body lotion.
- Apply the moisturiser at least two times a day to prevent your skin from cracking and being dry.
- Spend no more than five to ten minutes when taking a bath.
- Avoid scratching your skin.
- Keep your fingernails short to reduce the chances of cutting your skin.
- Take a bath with lukewarm water. Don’t use hot water.
- When choosing a moisturiser for your skin, it is safer to choose one that does not have fragrance because the skin of some individuals with this condition reacts to some fragrances or perfumes.
- Don’t wear clothes that are made from wool or synthetic/man-made fibres
- Gloves or socks should be worn over both hands when going to bed at night since the scratching cannot be controlled when asleep. So, this prevents the itching from worsening which could occur as a result of scratching.
- Wash new clothes before wearing them. This will help to wash off any excess dyes and chemicals that can irritate the skin.
- The skin should be patted dry gently with a soft towel after taking a bath.
- When washing, use detergents that are meant for sensitive skin.
- Stay away from extremes of humidity and temperature (very hot or very cold). Stay in a cool environment.
- When clothes are washed, the minimum amount of detergent that will be effective should be used. And plenty water should be used in rinsing the clothes. Also, the clothes should be rinsed more than once. This is because detergents can worsen the condition.
- Minimise stress and control emotions.
- Avoid exposure to dust, animals like cats and dogs that have fur/dander, cigarette smoke.
- Bleach baths are sometimes used if the skin is easily infected.
- Babies should be exclusively breastfed, this helps to boost their body’s immune system.
In summary, the crux of atopic dermatitis prevention is avoiding anything that can trigger or worsen this skin condition. And follow the instructions given by the doctor.