Coffee remains one of the most widely consumed beverages on earth today. Consumption cuts across nations of the world, despite the beans’ humble beginnings on the plains of East Africa.
Four hundred billion (4.000.000) cups a year makes a pretty good sales pitch for any product, and coffee holds this number quite elegantly.
The age-old debate over the benefits and demerits of coffee for the health of drinkers has not been put to rest. The chances are quite slim that this argument will ever be laid to rest.
The verdict is out on the position of coffee, but one thing is for sure. No matter how great the benefits, there will be those who wouldn’t touch a cup with a stick a yard long. And there will be those who’d seriously consider losing a limb rather than miss their morning beverage.
So, what’s the deal for you? Do you see coffee as a hero beverage, saving you from morning fatigue? Or is it just a vile concoction you’d never allow pass through your lips? Here are a few fun facts to guide your decisions if you are still undecided.
BENEFITS OF COFFEE CONSUMPTION
Most of the benefits are enjoyed by people who consume about 3 or 4 cups daily. While lesser quantities may not be effective, more than 4 cups could be dangerous. Pregnant women are advised to limit intake to 2 cups per day.
The exact source of coffee’s superpowers has not been specifically attributed to any particular component. It is suspected to be a result of anti-oxidants and anti-fibrotic components (which slow down cell degeneration). Taking a look at some of these benefits of, let’s start with some numbers….
- 17% lower death rates among coffee drinkers taking between 3 and 4 cups a day.
- 18% lower risks of cancer.
- 30% lower chances of coming down with Type 2 diabetes, among ardent coffee drinkers.
- Reduced risks of Alzheimer’s, and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and liver cancer.
- B2, B5, B1, B3 vitamins are all available in non-negligible amounts in your coffee. These really add up when you take up to 3 or 4 cups.
- Protects against Parkinson’s disease
- Improved cognitive skills being a stimulant, blocks an inhibitor enzyme in the brain.
SIDE-EFFECTS OF COFFEE DRINKING
There are two sides to every story, and non-coffee drinkers have their very cogent reasons for staying away. Seeing as people have varied reactions to similar things, some people end up reacting differently to caffeine consumption.
- 31% higher risk of lower birth weight in children of high-end coffee drinking pregnant women.
- 46% higher chances of pregnancy loss in pregnant women who drink higher quantities of coffee.
- Increase in fractures and possibility of fracturing in fracture prone women.
- Increased heart palpitations.
- Complains of headaches
- Worsened Insomnia and anxiety when taken with certain other drugs
- Caffeine addiction is a real thing, and coffee drinkers could get easily hooked to caffeine as it is present in a whole lot of other foods which are not noted.
- Freshly ground beans and espressos can add up some calories
And lastly; higher rates of bowel movement induced by coffee, which is not totally a negative.
The debate could go on and on, but the fact remains that this beverage is going nowhere soon.
But keep in mind that most health benefits associated with taking coffee might be lost to excessive sweetening. Same goes for drowning your coffee in heavy cream. Avoid too much cream and sugars in your beverage to get maximum benefits, even your tea. A sedentary lifestyle will have long-term effects which coffee can not magically cure.
Taking a snack with your afternoon coffee could alter the results you get. This is worse when your snacks are made with refined sugars; croissant, cakes or candy.
Previous fears about heart diseases and stunted growth have been thrown out the window. Most of these test subjects who are ardent drinkers also had certain lifestyles that fostered these negative results. Taking these other factors into cognizance has shown coffee to be healthier than its harmful.
What’s your take? Is coffee one of the best things you’ve ever had? Or would you rather destroy every bit of it in the world? Drop your comments here, we’d like to hear from you