Akara and pap, one combo you’d agree have been since the beginning of days in Nigeria. Akara is prepared at home for breakfast, for snacks, as an appetizer or side dish. It is also sold by vendors on the street, marketplaces, and at bus stations.
Akara, also known as bean cake is made essentially from beans and bits of other ingredients like pepper, tomatoes, onions and other condiments that you may wish to add. Pap, on the other hand, is basically extracted from corn and prepared with sugar, milk and water and it is best served when hot. Without having much knowledge about the benefits of akara and pap, one would consider their source and regard the combo to be very nutritious.
This indigenous combo has become a tradition in most Nigerian homes as it is mostly served on weekends (Saturday morning).
As small as the akara balls could be, the benefits which it possesses are rattling. Here, I would be sharing the many health benefits of the popular akara and pap.
Health Benefits of Akara and Pap
- They are rich in protein gotten from beans which aid in repairing worn out tissues.
- Akara balls are known to provide a healthy alternative to our meat and animal proteins as they also tend to digest faster.
- Akara balls help to repair tissues that are worn out.
- They are also rich in soluble fibre which is known to lower cholesterol level.
- Akara balls are also rich in dietary fiber which helps in reducing cholesterol level, potassium which reduces high blood pressure by normalizing it to an optimum level and this makes a great choice for individuals who are hypertensive.
- If prepared with the basic ingredients, its calorie content for fat is just 10 and protein s high as 45 calories and which is really a great deal when it comes to losing weight.
Akara can be stored in the fridge for up to three days and in the freezer for up to one month without going off or losing their food values.
- Pap, on the other hand, is great for people with high blood pressure because of its high potassium and zero sodium content. This helps to lower blood pressure.
- It is a good source of carbohydrate. This is meal highly recommended for athletes.
- This food contains a high level of water which is why nursing mothers use it to help the easy flow of breast milk after a delivery.
- It helps to pass out unwanted elements in the body through urine. Notice that whenever you take pap, you tend to urinate a lot. Its texture makes it very easy to digest and a perfect food for convalescing individuals. It does not stress the digestive system.
- Pap is 100 percent natural. It is a meal that retains many of its nutrients after processing as there are no additives present.
Your article helped me a lot, is there any more related content? Thanks!