It’s no coincidence that a lot of entrepreneurs have health-related problems.
It is no secret that most entrepreneurs often treat their bodies terribly in exchange for success. They work long, unsociable hours, on little sleep, fueling their bodies with crap food – just so they can get back to what they were doing. – This isn’t healthy, either is this is my idea of success.
During these past years, a lot of my time has been dedicated to understanding how the body works and what it needs to thrive at an optimum level.
I’m not a doctor, but this article does outline what seems to work for almost every individual.
As an entrepreneur, all you need do is to ask yourself the question, ”What does the body want?”
This is easy, as all the body wants is for every internal process to function in harmony.
In order to accomplish this, we need to provide our bodies with clean, sustainable nutrition and habitual physical activity. This goes a long way towards being successful in both health and business.
Below, I would share certain tips on how you as an entrepreneur can tweak your lifestyle for optimum health and success in your business.
6 Ways to Tweak Your Unhealthy Lifestyle as an Entrepreneur:
Change What You Eat or Drink
Without a doubt, the most important thing you can do to start feeling better and instantly improve your health is to change what you eat and drink!
Enhancing the quality and variety of food that goes into your body ensures that your immune system, metabolism, and mental processes function at an optimum level. This is imperative if you’re going to have the mental capacity or physical energy required to run your own business for the long term.
2. Improve What You Eat Or Drink
It’s not just what you eat, but how you eat can also make a big difference.
Here are a few solid eating tips that will help keep your health bulletproofed:
- Eat soon after waking up.
- Set eating times (ex: 9am, 1pm, 5pm & 8pm).
- Chew your food thoroughly (ex: 36 times, once for each tooth).
- Don’t drink during and for up to an hour after a meal – it slows digestion.
- Eat food fresh and immediately after it’s prepared to optimize nutritional value.
- Hydrate yourself – Mental processes are affected by as little as 2% dehydration. Not to mention, the most common cause of afternoon fatigue is dehydration (drink plenty of water, herbal teas, stock, broths & fresh homemade juice).
3. Improve Your Sleep
One reason most entrepreneurs go to bed excited is either because they had a successful day, or maybe because of their anticipation of a successful tomorrow. Any other reason might either have them up for most of the night or have them sleep for shorter periods.
For sleep, I think the more an individual toss and turn, the longer it takes for he/she to fall asleep. Since it is a natural occurrence that we have to sleep every day, for the rest of our lives; you might as well need to be good at it.
Here’s the best way to improve your sleep:
- Have a sleep routine. Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day (typically 10pm – 7am).
- Get an adequate amount of sleep each night. Sleeping less than 7 hours per night can double the chance of coming down with an infection (deep sleep increases your body’s production of natural killer cells).
- Sleep in complete darkness; make sure to black out your windows. Avoid light while sleeping as this interrupts your sleep.
- Sleep in complete silence.
- Reduce blue light in the evening (install flux app, dim your lights, burn beeswax candles, turn off electronics).
- Consume foods that improve the quality of sleep. (e.g Kiwi fruit)
- Don’t eat dinner within 3 hours of going to bed.
- Avoid foods that disturbs a quality sleep. Foods like coffee should be avoided.
4. Improve Your Air
The quality of our air has a huge impact on our health. As humans we’re meant to live outside, breathing that lovely fresh air.
Not only is this a great opportunity to absorb some vitamin D3, but also it helps improve our immune system by enhancing our human microbiome (the “good bugs” living inside us).
5. Sitting Is The New Smoking – Even If You Exercise
There’s no getting around the fact that the more you sit, the worse health you’re going to have, the earlier you’re going to die, and it doesn’t matter how fit you are.
As Internet entrepreneurs, we spend A LOT of our time sitting in front of the computer. We run websites, write articles, and check stats for hours on end…
But what does all this sitting for extended periods of time do?
Well, for starters, sitting in front of a computer for such long hours increases our risk of depression, cancer, diabetes, and heart disease.
Plus, all that time spent at the computer expending mental energy without any physical activity just makes it harder to sleep at night. Combine that with the fact that most Internet entrepreneurs drink a lot of caffeine – which in itself creates a recipe for throwing everything out of whack.
You have to live an active lifestyle if you’re going to be healthy and successful as an entrepreneur.
6. Pay More Attention to Your Daily Habits
Our daily habits can make or break our health and our businesses in the long run.
Creating a daily schedule that incorporates both health-conscious activities and entrepreneurial tasks is a great way to remain productive and achieve success.
Having a positive sense of community is nearly as important to our health as exercise because the division of work, feeling of association and togetherness all help establish a healthy atmosphere and mindset.
One of the most important things we can to do to maximize our health and productivity as entrepreneurs is to create a daily schedule and stick to it.
Now, you don’t want to feel like you’re a slave to your schedule so you must be productive and create time for fun.
Besides your eating times, some of the most important aspects to keep in mind when creating your daily schedule is to make time for breaks and utilize them to get up, move around and interact with other human life.
The same traits that have made you such a great entrepreneur can be carried over to living a healthy lifestyle. If you put as much work into your body, as you do your business, you’ll be flying high.
Remember, a lot of people who live sedentary and unhealthy lifestyles don’t have a choice about their lives. They’re forced to work inside all day for a set number of hours and can’t even spend their days outside when it’s bright and sunny.
The idea of trying to be healthy, while being an entrepreneur, has to be taken to heart. The most successful entrepreneurs combine great health with great business!
A healthy lifestyle is by choice not by chance!