Being pregnant for the first time is a thing of joy but it can be scary too. You will no longer be eating and staying healthy for yourself again, you will be taking care of yourself for at least two. You’ll need tips, pregnancy tips to keep you on top of this situation.
You’ve got to start watching what you eat, things you do and a host of other things. This can be extremely stressful and somehow strenuous, but the smile of your little baby makes it all worthwhile at the end.
If you are a first-time mom-to-be (maybe you recently used the home pregnancy test and it was positive or the doctor confirmed to you that you are pregnant), do not fret, we’ve got you covered. Through this post, I’m going to educate you on basic pregnancy tips for first – time moms.
Here are top 6 pregnancy tips for you:
1. Do not fret : Yes DO NOT FRET. It is okay to want to give in to worry and fear, however this will serve you nothing. Instead of fretting, go each step at a time, start adjusting to your new lifestyle and enjoy the experience.
2. Register in an ante-natal : Once you discover that you are pregnant, registering with an health provider is important. This will provide you an opportunity to learn more about childbirth and infant care, ask questions and voice any concerns. You’ll also become more acquainted with the facility, its staff, and other mothers-to-be.
3. Educate yourself : Read books on pregnancy and parenting and choose what works best for you; talk to your doctor on things you are not clear about. Find time to brush up on your family’s medical history and report any concerns to your doctor.
4. Know when to call your doctor : Being pregnant for the first time can be confusing, you should call your doctor if you have any of these symptoms:
- Strong cramps
- Contractions at 20-minute intervals
- Vaginal bleeding or leaking of fluid
- Dizziness or fainting
- Shortness of breath
- Heart palpitations
- Constant nausea and vomiting
- Trouble walking, edema (swelling of joints)
- Decreased activity by the baby
5. Exercise : Exercise plays a vital role in keeping you fit and active. Regular exercise will help you control your weight, improve circulation, boost your mood, and help you sleep better.
Before starting with any exercise program; check with your doctor first, listen to your body, and don’t overdo it.
6. Your chores will change : As the pregnancy advances and become more obvious, there’ll be a need for a change if some of your house chores. Avoid lifting heavy objects, standing on stools, etc.
Other tips include: eating healthy; staying away from strong drinks, illicit drugs and smoking; and resting adequately.
We wish you a safe, interesting and wonderful pregnancy and delivery.
In case you fall in this category or you are already a mum or you think I missed a tip, it will be great to have you share your experience and contribution in the comment section below. Kindly also share with anyone you think might need this information.