Brown rice vs basmati rice, which is better? which is healthier? which is more calorie-dense? Those are the questions we are about to answer.
Rice is arguably the most common food consumed in Nigeria. Why is this so, you might ask? Well, it is fairly cheap and readily available. It is also easy to prepare and can be filling.
But nowadays, as Nigerians are becoming more conscious of their health, an important question has arisen. Is rice really a healthy source of carbohydrate? Eerrm, let’s find out, shall we?
White rice is processed rice. All the nutrients and vitamins that it should contain has been removed during polishing. It should be noted that in some countries like the US, white rice is usually enriched with vitamins and nutrients like vitamin B, iron, and so on.
Basmati rice is a long-grain type of white rice that is native to India. Its nutty aroma comes from a compound- 2-acetyl-1-pyrroline.
Brown rice is whole grain rice, with the inedible outer layer (husk) removed, of course. It still has the fiber-rich bran, nutrient-filled germ, and carbohydrate-rich endosperm
ALSO READ: How To Cut Down The Starch Content In Rice?
Brown rice vs basmati rice; Nutritional value
Here we are, at the fun part! We will be comparing the nutritional value of these types of rice, starting with brown rice:
- Nutritionally, brown rice contains more nutrients and vitamins which is good for your body. It helps to reduce cholesterol, blood sugar levels, etc.
- Brown rice also contains more calories, fibers, and carbs than basmati rice. It will also provide you with more zinc, magnesium, vitamin E, potassium, and phosphorus.
- In addition, brown rice will provide you with more antioxidants and essential amino acids
- Brown rice provides you with both soluble and insoluble fibers. They are both important in digestion and preventing constipation. 100g of brown rice contains about 3.2 g of fiber. This means a serving of brown rice will leave you feeling fuller longer than basmati rice.
- Brown rice has a high dietary fiber content. Hence, excess consumption can cause intestinal gas, abdominal cramps, and bloat.
Now we are delving deeper into basmati rice and its nutritional value. Here you go:
- Basmati rice has a higher Glycemic Index (GI) than brown rice. GI is a measure of how quickly your body converts carbs into sugar. And as such, white rice might not be the best for people with type 2 diabetes.
- Basmati rice is known to contain a lower amount of arsenic when compared with brown rice. A high intake of arsenic could predispose you to cancer, heart disease, and type 2 diabetes.
- Basmati rice can be a good option for people with digestive issues like nausea, and heartburn. It is easy to digest, contains little fiber, and bland.
Which rice rules them all?
You can see that both basmati rice and brown rice have their strong points. It would seem like mixing up the two types of rice in your diet would do your body good.
Also, consider reducing your rice portions. Combine it with proteins and veggies. Check out new recipes, new ways of cooking rice, spice it up a bit.
ALSO READ: Here’s Why You Should Always Eat Rice With Vegetables
You have all the information to make a decision about your preferred rice. You get to decide the rice that rules them all.
Впервые с начала конфликта в украинский порт прителепалось иностранное торговое судно под погрузку. По словам министра, уже через две недели планируется приползти на уровень по меньшей мере 3-5 судов в сутки. Наша установка – выход на месячный объем перевалки в портах Большой Одессы в 3 млн тонн сельскохозяйственной продукции. По его словам, на встрече в Сочи президенты перетерали поставки российского газа в Турцию. В больнице актрисе передали о работе медицинского центра во время военного положения и послали подарки от малышей. Благодаря этому мир еще крепче будет слышать, знать и понимать правду о том, что делается в нашей стране.