Stretch marks are visible lines that appear on the skin surface, with an off-color hue. Stretch marks are mainly found in the abdominal wall, but can also occur over the thighs, upper arms, buttocks and breasts. They happen when your skin changes shape rapidly due to growth or weight gain. They aren’t a sign that anything is wrong with your health. Both men and women can get stretch marks. Although, they can make you feel self-conscious and uncomfortable about your appearance. But the good news is that there are natural ways to get rid of stretch marks.
While pregnancy remains the main cause behind most stretch marks, other reasons can be sudden gain or loss in weight, rapid growth, heredity factors, stress and changes in physical conditions. These marks can sometimes cover large areas of the body.
While it is a natural occurrence, no individual would want to have these unattractive lines on their body. That’s why I would be sharing the top nine (9) natural ways to get rid of stretch marks.
Here, are nine (9) natural ways to get rid of stretch marks:
- Castor Oil: Castor oil, which is used in the treatment of a number of skin problems such as wrinkles, age spots, moles, dark spots, fine lines and pimples, can also be used to get rid of stretch marks. Apply oil to the affected area.
- Aloe Vera: Very effective in the treatment of many skin problems, pure aloe vera is both a natural healing agent and a skin softener. This makes it an ideal home remedy to try for stretch marks. Apply pure aloe vera from a plant to your stretch marks daily after your shower.
- Coconut oil: Known for its healing properties, coconut oil has been found to reduce the time it takes for skin wounds to heal. Applying virgin coconut oil to your stretch marks each day might take away some of their red appearance.
- Olive Oil: Due to its hydrating and cooling effect, olive oil has been trusted for ages as an excellent skin moisturizer. It is packed with essential nutrients and antioxidants that heal a variety of skin disorders. For stretch marks, you can use this oil by heating it slightly before applying on your skin. The warm olive oil promotes good circulation of the blood, which gradually helps in reducing the appearance of the marks.
- Potato Juice: Due to the fact that they are loaded with minerals and vitamins, potatoes enhance the growth and repair of skin cells. Because of these effects, it is not surprising that the juice of this vegetable has been used for eliminating stretch marks. Simply cut a potato into thick slices and just rub these on your skin for 5 to 10 minutes. Once the juice dries on your skin, allow it stay for a few more minutes before rinsing off.
- Lemon Juice: Another simple way to lessen stretch marks is to use lemon juice. Lemon juice is naturally acidic which helps heal and reduce stretch marks, acne, and other scars. Rub fresh lemon juice gently onto the stretch marks using circular motions. Allow the lemon juice to soak into your skin for at least 10 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water.
- Egg whites: This can be used in minimizing the appearance of marks that ruin the look of your skin. The healing property of egg whites comes from the sufficient amounts of amino acids and proteins that repair skin cells efficiently.
- Whip whites from two eggs in a bowl. Apply a layer of this mixture on the skin.
- Allow the mixture to dry completely for at least 10 minutes.
- Rinse egg whites off your skin using lukewarm water.
- Finally apply some olive oil on the skin to keep it moisturized. This technique could be used daily for optimum results.
- Cocoa Butter: Application of cocoa butter is one of the numerous ways to get rid of stretch marks. This exceptional moisturizer is renowned for its anti-aging properties while promoting circulation and reducing stretch marks. Take a tablespoon of cocoa butter and massage on the affected portion gently. Do this technique twice daily for at least two months until you notice an improvement on your skin.
- Sugar: Considered as a home remedy, sugar is known for its exfoliating effects. Its coarse texture can help get rid of dead skin and minimize the unsightly appearance of these lines on your thighs, stomach, and arms.
- Mix a tablespoon of raw sugar with some almond oil and a few drops of lemon juice.
- Mix it well and apply it on the stretch marks and other skin areas.
- Gently rub the mixture on the skin for a few minutes every day before taking a shower.
- Continue doing this for a month or so until you discover positive results on your skin.
Put any of the above mentioned into practice and see its effect on your skin. Kindly share in the comment box, your experience trying any of the above mentioned natural remedies.