A good vision is one of those things that make up a complete human. Poor sight or no vision at all disorganizes an individual as it brings discomfort.
Healthy eating is good for your eyes as well as it is for your entire body as this has been proven. As the eyes are vascular, a healthy diet is low in saturated fat and trans fat is what you require to keep the vessels of the eyes healthy.
Foods rich in antioxidants are also known to help protect the eyes from age-related macular degeneration.
Here are few foods that aids in boosting your eyesight:
- Tomatoes – These glossy red fruits are excellent sources of vitamin C- an another vision protector. Lycopene is found in tomatoes and this helps prevent light induced damage the retina and other parts of the eye, so consuming this food will help boost the absorption of lycopene into the body.
- Greens – Spinach, collard greens and other dark leafy greens are known to be rich sources of lutein and zeaxanthin. These antioxidants can help stem the development of macular degeneration and cataracts. Consuming these foods do not only help improve your vision but they also help to maintain a long term vision.
- Olive Oil – Olive oil is one important thing to aid in enhancing your eyesight. Low in trans and saturated fat, olive oil helps prevent retina related diseases. Olive oil could be added to your meal to be used as cooking oil. An extra virgin olive oil is best recommended for this purpose.
- Eggs – just like spinach, egg yolks are another good source of zeaxanthin and lutein, so therefore, they aid in contributing to your proper eye sight. Egg yolks are also a natural source of vitamin D.
- Corn – Corn is also a great source of lutein and zeaxanthin and thus help protect the eyes form age-related macular degeneration, ARMD. People who consume foods like yellow corn are at a reduced risk of developing cataracts.
As stated earlier, eating healthy goes a long way in enhancing our eyesight, but we should not just adapt a healthy eating habit without taking proper care of our eye. We are also encouraged to avoid participating in activities that could affect our eyes negatively.
Avoid Straining the eyes – Our eyes are not made to focus on a single object for long periods. We should avoid straining our eyes as this could cause harm to the eye.
Proper Sleep – When we sleep, our eyes do rejuvenate, enjoying continuous lubrication. A proper sleep aids in resting and calming the eye muscles also. During this period, the eyes get rid of dust, smoke and other irritants.
Eye Screening – At a certain age, we could start experiencing a poor eyesight. It is therefore recommended to get a baseline eye disease screening. An ophthalmologist could prescribe certain measures and medications to aid improve your vision.
Exercise – Our eyes, just like the rest of our organs, need blood circulation and proper oxygen intake. Exercising regularly also helps in this cause and it could also help lower your risk of other chronic illnesses which could also affect the eye.
Our eyes are the *** of our body and thus should be treated properly. Healthful eating goes a long way in enhancing our vision. Though as we age, our vision could be affected, but if we eat properly and follow certain measures we could lower our risk of a bad vision.
Eating Healthy is good for whole body especially your eyes. Know the right food and help reduce your risk of a bad vision.