Waterleaf is one of the most underrated and undervalued plants in Nigeria. Some people regard this plant as a stubborn weed that grows on its own constituting nuisance to the environment, while some just see it as a flower that beautifies the environment. Most people don’t know what the waterleaf plant is or its benefits.
The waterleaf plant is a herbaceous plant which has so many benefits for health. It is known for its peculiar green colour and pink flower which grows as its bud. This vegetable is, however, more appreciated than it is undervalued as it is used in making different delicacies in Nigeria. Its leaves and stems are consumed as veggies in some parts of the country.
This leafy plant possess so many health benefits and they include:
- Prevention of heart diseases and stroke. Regular consumption of the waterleaf plant has the ability to prevent you from having a stroke and other heart-related problems. By doing this, you reduce the risks of having cardiovascular diseases and also lower your blood pressure.
- Waterleaf enhances cognitive ability. This leafy plant has some positive effects on the neurons in the brain, thus aid in improving one’s memory, perception and retaining abilities.
- It has a range of biological and pharmacological uses. The leaf possesses anti-inflammatory, antifungal and anti-bacterial functions.
- The waterleaf plant is a perfect remedy for weight loss. Due to its high fibre content and low calorie, it can be taken regularly while on a diet plan which is aimed at weight loss.
- Consumption of water leaf helps diabetics as it regulates blood sugar levels in the body, as most staple foods consumed have glucose as their end product.
- It also has the ability to reduce blood cholesterol levels because of its soluble fibre content. It also has the ability to make red blood flowing in the body without clots or thrombus.
- Waterleaf can be used as a laxative. When eaten, it can be used to treat constipation, indigestion and other stomach related problems. When consumed, it restores the body to its normal form.
- Another health benefit accrued to eating water leaf is its ability to treat chronic inflammatory diseases due to the antioxidant properties which it possesses.
- The presence of vitamin C inside of waterleaf is a vitamin that is very important because it helps to increase body resistance to disease and restore the body’s condition after activity or daily activities in order to refit body.
- It can also be mixed with alligator pepper and avocado in the treatment of hypertension.
Knowing all these benefits, I guess you would no longer see the waterleaf plant as a weed or just an ornamental plant, but also incorporate it more than ever into your diet in order to stay healthy. One good thing is that the vegetable can be gotten with little or no stress in the market.